This Week’s Picks – August 3

Wine is good for the body and soul. There is a reason some studys support the idea that a glass of wine a day may help protect you against heart disease. That is why this week it’s all about wine. We are featuring The Great American Wine Company Red Blend and Zinfandel and Mosketto Sweet-White wine.

IMG_0068The Great American Wine Company Red Blend

This 2013 red blend has bold flavors while still being a laidback wine to drink. This wine comes from The Great American Wine Company, by Rosenblum Cellars, and is a tribute to the spirit of America. The wine is produced from the best grapes from the vineyards of coastal California. Continuing the tribute to American this vineyard donates to U.S. military charities to support US troops and veterans each year, so every bottle you buy and enjoy helps US troops and veterans. On the nose there are notes of dark cherries, red fruits, black raspberries and delicious vanilla pie crust. The palate is a treat, it is rich with balanced tannins and a finish that expresses some lasting fruit. This is a great wine to accompany a great summer barbecue with grilled steaks or meats.

The Great American Wine Company Zinfandel

While the Red Blend is made up of Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel and Petite Sirah. The Zinfandel is made up of 95% Zinfandel and the remaining 5% comes from the Petite Syrah grape. This creates an American wine with lots of personality. On the nose it has aromas of black cherry, boysenberry and plum with some spicy aromas. On the palate it is full-bodied and its supple tannins keep the intense fruity flavors, resulting in a long, lasting finish.

Mosketto Sweet-White Wine

Mosketto wine is sweet and balanced wine with a low alcohol content that makes it a high-quality alternative to internationally known Moscato. It is produced in Italy using the most renowned, aromatic grapesĀ  in the Piedmont region of north-western Italy. It is produced by naturally fermenting the high-quality and aromatic grapes, to give the wine its pleasant bubbles and fizz. On the nose it has aromas of fresh fruits, rose petals and white flowers. On the mouth it is fizzy with a refreshing sweetness. This is a great wine to serve with pastries and fruit salads.